Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Phone Spam!

I have been promoting our new SEO site in past 2 weeks. Registered with few major directories, few vertical dirs and all Local search players (separate post about that).

I get a phone call today. From enhance.com. And it goes like this.
rep: "hey, we noticed you haven't completed registration. did the site die on you?"
me: "chmmm..., who are you? Let's see your site. OK, enhance.com. A, ok, i remember looking at it" (while thinking, this already sounds fishy and so 1990s) "so, you do advertising, what can you do for my site?"
rep: "we'll advertise you on 100,000 domains for 5-6 cents a click for search engine optimization industry"
me: "say, what? my keywords go $1 range!! Give me an example!"
rep: "websitedirectory.com"
me: "chmmm, this looks spammy. did i type it in incorrectly? do you have one more?"
rep: "Sure. try ged.com"
me: "ok, it looks exactly the same, so must be you. So you have 100,000 of these?"
rep: "yep, it's a great value. people comming in already very intrested in buying, blah blah blah..."
me: "thanks, not intrested"

Clearly this is pretty spammy & will only work for certain businesses. We stay away from questionable practices & gonna take a pass. Thanks.

This is email after the conversation:

Hi Mark,

Here is my contact information. Feel free to contact me in the future if you have any questions or if your would like to give us a try. A $50 deposit will get an account open and allow you to see what we can do for you. That money will go towards your traffic. There are no fees.

Here is a link that will give you an idea of what this network can do for you. Maybe I did a poor job of presenting the network. (http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2006/september.htm) Best of luck!

Tyler XXXXXXXXXXXX

Client Developer

E. XXXXXX@enhance.com

T. 800.840.XXXX x XXXX

T. 801.705.XXXX x XXXX

F. 801.705.7138

Enhance Interactive, Inc.

Delivering search marketing value.

www.enhance.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home